Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spring?

Dear long lost blog followers,

Hello! I apologize for my winter hibernation. The holidays were busy and for the past 3 weeks I've been without my laptop (broken power cord, now resolved). Anywho, I am back and should make a full recovery to a respectable amount of blogging in the immediate future.

Respectfully,

Erin N.


Moving along... here are a collection of thoughts I've pondered during hibernation. They are in no order of importance.

-Music is powerful. I'd even say holy. Nothing fixes the unrest in my soul like music. Also, nothing stirs me up, dishevels me, and pisses me off like music. Hmm.

-Drummers really can be musical!! Not musical as in, able to play music. Musical as in, an artistic interpretation of said music. I had a really great teaching moment at the high school awhile back. They just need a LOT of guidance using little words. (You play loud, when the shiny trumpets play loud... but not yet).

-Perspective is a powerful tool for everyday life. I encourage you all to boldly go out into the world and try it on. I must admit, I still struggle at times to find the right fit, but overall it's a good thing. Definitely something I'd like to impart upon my students.

-This diet/exercise thing is a BITCH. Sorry for my use of profane language, but I just had to call it out by name. Ugh. I was doing really well... lost 14 lbs... but then I got sick and then I was out of town... and now I'm up 3.5. I know that this is part of it- but I don't like it. Not even a little. The rest of the school year will be a real test of will. Hopefully I'm stubborn enough to win.

-I'm playing in church in 2 weeks. I know, you're thinking to yourself...hello, you play in church all the time. It's true- but this is different. It's the church I go to... I'm even doing it for free! I feel like in terms of contributions and accomplishments I am seriously lacking compared to the rest of the demographic at CCCC, so it will be nice to be able to bring my "gift" to the table. (No puns intended). (maybe a little).

-I love/hate my running shoes. I think they're ugly. REALLY ugly. But they feel so delightful. Worth it.


Last but not least- I have a story for you. This has been a rather rocky week... but it's moments like these that remind me how much I like my life.

Scene: My classroom... seventh grade band... circa 4th period.
Plot: Explaining how melody, counter-melody, and harmony co-exist and belong together.

So... melody/harmony/counter-melody is very much like an ice cream cone. (After a short debate, the ice cream was deemed chocolate). The ice cream represents the melody... the main event. The obvious thing we want the most of. The cone is representative of the harmony. Also tasty, but serves as a supporting role in my musical/ice cream eating experience. Last, the sprinkles. These are tasty little tidbits that enhance both experiences, though are not a necessity for every occasion (on both counts). This is something that compliments the melody/ice cream, and must achieve a delicate balance.

We had a good time working this through, but the best part for me, the cherry on top if you will, was when we were getting ready to start a new section and a girl who is very sweet but does struggle a bit blurts out "WAIT... I'm the sprinkles, right???

YES.

She was indeed the counter-melody/sprinkles.


The End.

2 comments:

  1. Love the classroom metaphor. Let's be real, I really love ice cream and anything that involves it.

    14 pounds is serious business. Be proud, stay strong, and put those ugly shoes to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your new year is off to a pretty good start, friend. Congrats on the diet/exercise results!

    ReplyDelete