Wednesday, February 29, 2012

It's all about the Wordplay.

I think it's absolutely fascinating how much of an impact word choice and tone change situations. The right words in the right order can really make or break every situation. Today I had a parent meeting and had to make two parent phone calls. I am happy to say that things like this no longer make me nervous. Sure, there is still some anxiousness to get it over with- but I am comfortable with the things I need to say and I think I've really found the best way to communicate them. Also, I had to process with a few different kids today and it is almost magical how different they respond based on my approach. They are much more cooperative and reflective if I can be calm and without accusation.

For life in general it has been so glaringly obvious to me lately that being able to communicate in a calm, clear, and concise manner gives you a HUGE advantage. People appreciate the truth- and though your word choice may vary due to the nature of the topic, there is no reason not to be clear. I'm at a point in my life where I have no interest in spending my very valuable free-time with anyone that is an ineffective communicator.

Why? Because bad communication = STRESS.

Stress for all parties involved, whether the issue concerns me or not. It's interesting how affected people are by the tone and quality of communication. It happens in the most informal ways, like genuinely saying "hello, how are you?" to the person at the checkout line. Or your tone over the phone when dealing with customer service. I know that not all people enjoy dealing with the rest of the population... but people are much more likely to help you or at least peacefully co-exist with you if you are a decent and respectful communicator.

A brief thought on a parallel note:
I love the use of wordplay in music. It's the best sense of humor in my mind. This part of "Stereo Hearts" cracks me up! (Did you catch the multiple puns? I hope so.)


Furthermore, I apologize for skipping any tracks
It's just the last girl that played me left a couple cracks
I used to used to used to used to, now I'm over that

No comments:

Post a Comment