Monday, August 15, 2011

Year Three.

Tonight is the kick-off for the 2011-2012 school year. Two evenings of "Back to School Night" and then Wednesday it's here! After a really successful week of high school band camp and multiple ongoing discussions with my closest colleague I am pretty excited about this year. I spent a little over a grand on new music but now have the literature planned for the entire year. With the help of an over-achieving high school student we built a word wall. This is a giant sized visual aid of vocab words... very hip in the core classes...hehe. My enthusiasm for creating an esthetically appealing room has even rubbed off on Chris. We finished painting the high school office today and stole an extra desk, so now I guess it's a little bit "our" office. We are scavenging for a bookcase, fake plant, and accent clock, on Saturday in addition to painting the trim a fun color.

There are a lot of changes happening in terms of what is required of teachers. It's not just standing up in front of kids and lecturing about your content anymore. There's the facilitating in your content area... but there is also the lunch, bus, hallway, and/or breakfast duty. There is the homework help tutoring, the workshop supervision, and the professional development assignments and research. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed about this but I've decided that I'm going to just be very, very good at what I do. I will need to get a few things put together in terms of plans and documentation... but being a music teacher, ultimately the thing that people will judge me on is the music, which is just fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment