Thursday, February 24, 2011

Miss Independent.

Today I had a couple interesting interactions that stirred the feminist inside me. First a student in ISS argued with me about going back to his desk instead of working at the table. When I persisted the convo went down like this:

he said "But Mr. (insert male teacher) said I could stay here"
"I understand, but I'm asking you to go back to your seat"
"But he's a man"

It took me a second to realize what he had just said. This kid is in it for the power struggle so I decided to let him have it. He thought he had won when I became silent... until he realized that I called for an administrator to come remove him. Actually, I called specifically for our head administrator...because she's a woman. (And kind of a BAMF). The kid's face was p r i c e l e s s.

Another memorable part of today was a phone call to my principal from my job last year. There are moments that I remember being so livid and speechless with her for not hearing me out, but at the same time I remember a few moments of compassion and of sincerity. I didn't know how she would react when I called to ask for a letter of rec...that's due Tuesday. Surprisingly she was VERY amicable... caring, even. She said she would be happy to do it and that I was very much missed. She asked how I was doing and commented that I sounded tired. I was startled because I remember far too well feeling like a child waiting to get 2 minutes of her attention and most of the time being rejected.

After reading the letter of rec my current head hauncho wrote and then having my phone conversation with Mary Ann I am feeling pretty good about my short, but intense teaching career. It makes me recall a line in a journal entry from college that goes something like this:

"I don't know who was waiting on who, music and me, but it's about damn time".

1 comment:

  1. I love that you put that kid in his place! What a sad state his upbringing is in.

    ReplyDelete