Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snow Day part IV

Today was our 4th snow day of the year. It was nice last week to have a few days off... but now it's a bad deal. I don't want to go to school until June. I also want to get to work on teaching the Contest music.

I am really quite excited about the large ensemble contest. This is when I will take both 7th and 8th grade band to perform 2 selections each for a panel of judges. We will receive a critique of our performance as well as a rating. Both the critique and the rating are valuable, but for different reasons. I am anxious to read the critique and get some sort of validation for the work I'm doing. I knew when I took my kids to contest last year that I had put the hardest work of my life thus far into preparing the kids. We ended up getting a 2+ rating which was really impressive for the state of the band program. I remember that day vividly- it was a stressful day on the job as well as in my personal life. Even still, it was one of my favorite moments with the kids. I intend to put as much effort into this year as the one last, but it's a totally different ball game.

I've decided that my job is still very demanding, but I feel like I know my place now. With that said I'd really like to spend the spring perhaps finding some kind of personal life. I'm excited about the many visitors from STL that are scheduled to head this way. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was visiting you!
    Well, better yet, I wish you were visiting me.

    ReplyDelete