Monday, May 30, 2011

Working Girl.

So I've been serving at a sand volleyball bar and grill for about a month now. The work is not complicated, but it is at a grueling pace that leaves me feeling broken after a shift. Who knew running around barefoot in the hot sand carrying heavy things would do that? I honestly don't mind though because the pay is just too good. I'm making twice as much a night as I would at a retail position.

I'd say the most interesting thing about this job experience is how drastically different it is from my career job. I'm not talking about the content, because duh- teaching music, serving beer...not the same. I'm talking about the structure, the people, and the politics. At my "real" job there is a code of professionalism that is to be maintained at all times. Obviously there are times when tempers flare or personal needs are evident... but overall, it's dress pants, hushed voices, and mediation. At my summer job there is no professionalism. I understand that it is not a career job or place of worldly business... but I think communicating in an adult and cooperative manner should be universal in all places of employment. Intimidation, public scolding, and condescending language just makes the situation worse.

Last night I collided with a coworker's bad mood before I had time to see it coming. My first instinct was to release the not so nice words on the tip of my tongue, but I think the school environment is rubbing off on me and I decided to remain silent to avoid escalating the situation. After contemplating my next move carefully I went over to her when she was alone and visibly calmer and apologized for what she yelled about earlier (even though I wasn't sorry...). It was quick and caught her totally off guard. I think she realized that there was no reason to take her bad mood out on me, and she soon after returned the apology. I am getting to accustomed to the education world where we are required to analyze and process any conflict. This is tiresome at times, and often the compromise isn't as satisfying as one would like... but it does create function out of chaos.

In the future I am going to just try to lay low and fit in at the summer job. I get along with the people there, but I don't feel like I fit in. It's kind of unfair, really. I feel like the newbie at my real job, where people are just starting to take me seriously... but I'm in such a different place in my life that I can't relate to many of my colleagues. At the summer job I can relate to much of my co-workers regarding age-related issues... but I'm totally odd man out when it comes to life choices and career paths. Emphasis on life choices.

I guess the moral of this story is the familiar tune: Life Just Isn't Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment