I know its been entirely too long since I wrote anything of interest. I've got a few things in mind but it's getting late. However, I did just finish writing a lesson for my sub plans to be used tomorrow, and I kind of dig it. I didn't want to give the kids a ton of worksheets or have them sit through another random video so I looked for something musically relevant that might be interesting. Here is what I came up with...
Journal:
1. List 3-5 artists, bands, or songs that you enjoy. It can be any kind of music- rock, rap, pop, country, jazz, etc.
2. What is it about that music that appeals to you?
3. How do you feel when you listen to your favorite music?
4. Think about what it takes to be a musician. We have to be able to do a lot of things at once to make music happen... name all the things you can think of that are happening while we are playing.
5. Do you think it would be possible to be a musician if you suddenly became deaf, or if you had been born without ever being able to hear? Why or why not... explain your decision.
Discussion:
RAISE YOUR HAND and share one of the bands/artists you enjoy.
Pick a word to describe how this music makes you feel. (pick volunteers to come up and write the word on the board)
Create a list as a class of all the things we do as musicians while playing. It should include things like...
-reading music
-pressing down the correct keys/hitting the right thing
-counting rhythm
-watching the conductor
-breathing
-listening
-articulating
Open the floor for comments on question #5 "Do you think it would be possible to be a musician if you suddenly became deaf, or if you had been born without ever being able to hear? Why or why not... "
Clip #1
Sean Forbes
Clip #2
D-PAN 'Waiting on the World to Change"
Journal Wrap Up:
1. What were your thoughts when you watched the music video?
2. Do you still feel the same about your stance on deaf musicians? Why or why not?
I am actually a little bit sad that I won't get to be there to see how the kids react. I know that some of them will really get in to it... I'm just hoping that the sub can get them settled enough for them to actually be engaged and think about it. We'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment