Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reflection

Today at lunch I was talking to my co-teacher at the high school about the interview process. We discussed a few colleagues we knew going through it, how we went through it, and what makes a good candidate.

After lunch I continued to think about my whopping 9 interviews my first year out of school. I think having that many means that I had something to offer, but it wasn't until I opened up and put all of myself on the table that I got the job. I distinctly remember my interview for my current job. I was so desperate to be hired. At the end of the interview when they asked me if I had anything else to tell them, I just told them the truth. I said that I knew I didn't have much experience, but that I was going to be good at it- because it's too important to mess it up. It only takes one band musical experience to end a child's enthusiasm for music indefinitely.

I was thinking about this today because I am entering stress mode considering my 3 concerts and a competition in the next 3 weeks. Additional stress is coming from attempting to collaborate with people that just don't have it together. It's always been a fine line for me between perfectionism and crazy, but it's because I love what I do and it's important to me. It's important to me that the kids have the best opportunities possible.

I think the kids know this about me. Today when I was on the line, my usually chaotic class was pretty darn cute. I forget that they can see everything on my face. They commented on my crazy mood and cracked a few jokes. It makes me smile that they care.

When I started teaching I knew that I would love doing music everyday. I did not know how much I would love building relationships with kids. I am proud to claim that most of my students are mine. Even the ones that I see frequently in the ISS room. I've got a few that confided in me while they were in there and now we have a positive relationship when I see them in the halls or after school. It seems that kids just need to be heard, and they need to feel like you care.

In short:

"While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about."
~Angela Schwindt

1 comment:

  1. I started teaching preschool again today. Just to one adorable 3 year old boy in his home. Please remind me to tell you about his backpack and car (to get him to school, of course). Cute freaking city.

    I remember how your band kids looked at you in STL. They adored you. You listen to them and I know you'd never mess that up.

    ReplyDelete