I love my job. I love my classroom, my administration, many of my colleagues. Most of all, I love my students. However, nothing makes me more upset than when my students act like complete idiots. I'm not talking about the regular kid stuff, I'm talking about kids being blatantly disrespectful and unwilling to listen- which results in unnecessary negative situations. This is exactly what happened yesterday. The worst part was, it wasn't just some of the kids... it was their parents. It has taken me 24 hours to let go of my irritation, but it's just so incredibly annoying to deal with parents that act like children.
Like I said, I really do love my job. Most days I can point out something(s) that happened that was awesome. I think the only serious negative thing about this particular position is the culture of the town in which I work. It's nearly impossible to teach kids to be grateful and considerate when they live in the epitome of ignorance.
In short- you can't cure stupid.
Obviously I am making a huge generalization here. There are a few parents that have been very supportive and I appreciate them immensely. But overall, it just seems that the people here don't have any concept of the world. They either have no idea of the bigger things in life or they are hopelessly apathetic. I am SO glad I decided not to live in town, otherwise I might be ready to jump ship for an intellectual society, some tolerance, and dare I say culture.
However, since I don't live in town, and I do live close enough to spend time in the city for some breathing room, it looks like I will be continuing to do good and fight evil in the name of music.
No comments:
Post a Comment