Monday, June 28, 2010

Explantions and New Beginnings.

Other side of what you may ask? Well, the other side of lots of things. This blog is going to document my move to the other side of the state. I've been a St. Louis girl my entire life and now I've become a traitor- I am moving to KC after accepting my new teaching job. Speaking of... I will also be documenting my 2nd year on the other side of school. Those are the obvious changes- everything else is more of the insightful intellectual sort, which will be discussed progressively in subsequent entries.

So here's some background info to set the stage:

-JOB-
Spent one year teaching part time in a Catholic primary(K-8)school in the STL area. Despite much apprehension from the get go- it turned out to be an awesome life experience. I had the opportunity to work with a variety of people I had never experienced up close- including a control freak boss, super religious co-workers, and kids that understand more about faith than I did. After establishing good relationships with these people it turned out to be a great year. I made my first year mistakes- but was in an environment to do so without penalty. I also befriended a coworker that showed me that religion isn't a disease, just a different way of life. In mid March I was told my position would not be available next year because it was being consildated...and that I was not eligible because I am not Catholic. This was hard to hear, but a good thing in the end. It was time for me to move on to bigger and better things. See: new job in KC.

-MUSIC-
I'm sure it doesn't take long for anyone I meet to see that music is my life. However, I'd like to consider this category specifically for my personal experiences as a musician aside from teaching and what not. This year I had some amazing opportunities- I played in a church quintet, Letter Carriers Big Band, and St. Louis Wind Symphony. Quintet was fun because it was super low pressure and it gave me a chance to keep up my individual playing skills. I also got to play with the world's nicest trumpet player. Jazz band was hilarious. I was by far the youngest person there by 15 years and most of them had white hair. It was a great experience because it was another low pressure gig that really helped me get back into jazz. Last but not least- Wind Symphony was AMAZING. By far the most premiere group I've ever played with. It is astounding to play with so many talented musicians. Almost everyone in WS is or was a band director so the level of expectation is crazy. I finished half of the season with them and am doing a summer gig at the Foundry with them on Friday. I'm just as nervous now as I was the first day...but it's a good thing.

-LIFE IN GENERAL-
The past year I chose to live at home to conserve money. Looking back it was the right decision, but it didn't come without a price. I love my parents, they are wonderful people, but living with them at this age was a challenge. I am very excited about the move and regaining my adult life. A perk of living at home was the extra help with my dog, Tucker, and I will definitely miss that. However, I am grateful that Tuck is coming with me and I look forward to all of our new adventures in KC!


"Look up- Reach out your hand
You can't see anything new
'til you change where you stand"

No comments:

Post a Comment